General

Arab League openly deplores Tripoli attack

CAIRO, Secretary-General of the Arab League Ahmad Abul-Gheit on Tuesday denounced “in the strongest words” a suicide attack on Libya’s Foreign Ministry that left several staffers dead or injured.

“This condemnable act bespeaks that the odious hands of terrorism pursue to commit such appalling crimes against innocents,” Abul-Gheit said in a press statement.

He decried that there were bids to hamper ongoing efforts to bring security and stability back to Libya, and to purposely protract the Libyan conflict.

However, the Arab bloc’s chief underlined that more regional and international efforts need to be exerted in order to give a helping hand to the Libyan people until they could defeat their country’s distress.

He offered heartfelt condolences to the government and people of Libya over the victims of the attack, while wishing the swift recovery of the injured.

Three people were killed and nine others wounded when three suicide bombers attacked Libya’s Foreign Ministry in Tripoli earlier on Tuesday, according to a Libyan security source.

One of the three attackers was killed by the ministry’s guards while the two others blew themselves up, the source said.

Source: Kuwait News Agency

ANE