WASHINGTON, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Al-Saud has said that the attack on the two Saudi oil facilities hit the “heart of the global energy industry.” In an interview on CBS’ 60 minutes program Sunday, the Saudi Crown Prince said “this attack didn’t hit the heart of the Saudi energy industry, but rather the heart of the global energy industry.” He added the attack on two Aramco plants in Abqaiq and Khurais “disrupted 5.5 percent of the world’s energy needs, the needs of the US and China and the whole world.” Asked about the strategic reason that Iran struck Aramco, Prince Mohammad responded “I believe it’s stupidity. There is no strategic goal.
“Only a fool would attack five percent of global supplies. The only strategic goal is to prove that they are stupid and that is what they did,” he remarked.
He warned that “if the world does not take a strong and firm action to deter Iran, we will see further escalations that will threaten world interests.” Oil supplies will be disrupted and oil prices will jump to “unimaginably high numbers that we haven’t seen in our lifetimes,” he noted.
When asked if about a military response, he replied “I hope not,” because “the political and peaceful solution is much better than the military one.” He was also asked if he agrees with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the attack by Iran was “an act of war,” to which he said “of course. Yes.” Iran denies it carried out the attack.
As on what kind of effect would a war between Saudi Arabia and Iran have on the region, the Saudi Crown Prince pointed out “the region represents about 30 percent of the world’s energy supplies, about 20 percent of global trade passages, about four percent of the world GDP.
“Imagine all of these three things stop. This means a total collapse of the global economy and not just Saudi Arabia or the Middle East countries,” he stressed.
Saudi Arabia succeeded in recovering rapidly from the massive attack, restoring pre-attack production levels in record time, sending assuring signals to oil consumers and markets.
Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf said at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly in New York last week that the attacks on Aramco “is a serious act of aggression that violates the principles and charter of this organization and threatens the security, stability and prosperity of our region and the world.” Last week, Pompeo reiterated that the Aramco attacks was a “sophisticated attack,” and it was a “state-on-state act of war.” On Thursday, the Pentagon announced that about 200 support personnel would be deployed to Saudi Arabia, in addition to military equipment “in light of recent attacks on the Kingdom.”
Source: Kuwait News Agency