The CLA for Units 3 ‘&’ 4 is the culmination of 18 months of intense work by ENEC and its Prime Contractor, the Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO). Today’s submission follows the approval of the CLA for Units 1 ‘&’ 2 in July 2012.
ENEC is building a total of four APR1400 units in Barakah in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi, with the first plant scheduled for completion in 2017. Construction work on the first two units is progressing on schedule. First safety concrete was poured for Unit 1 in July 2012, and extensive preparatory works are now underway on Unit 2 ahead of the first safety concrete pouring before the first half of the year.
“This marks another important milestone in our program as we work towards delivering safe, clean, reliable and efficient nuclear energy to the UAE,” said ENEC Chief Executive Officer, Mohamed Al Hammadi.
“The team has worked diligently to deliver to our regulator a comprehensive, high quality application that draws from all of the experience we have gained – through our reference plants in Korea, the lessons learned from Fukushima, and our own experience with the first application process for Units 1 ‘&’ 2.” The CLA will now undergo a rigorous review process by FANR. The review process for Units 1 ‘&’ 2 included more than 1800 requests for additional information, as well as meetings and site visits.
“We remain committed to achieving the highest standards of safety and quality in all aspects of our program, and will continue to work under FANR’s strict regulations. We now look forward to supporting FANR’s review process,” added Mr. Al Hammadi.
The 10000-page application includes: – The Preliminary Safety Analysis Report (PSAR), which includes a description of the plant design and a summary of the associated safety analyses.
– A Probabilistic Risk Assessment report, which demonstrates the low probability of a severe accident and provides assurance of public health and safety.
– An Independent Safety Verification Report, which meets the FANR requirement for an independent review of the PSAR.
– A preliminary Safeguards Plan, which provides information on how nuclear fuel and nuclear-related components will be kept secure, and in line with UAE safeguards commitments.
– The ENEC Quality Assurance Manual for design and construction, which details the processes ENEC uses to ensure the highest quality work in the program.
– The Physical Protection Plan, which lays out how ENEC will secure the facilities during construction.
The CLA for Units 3 ‘&’ 4 is based on the CLA for Barakah Units 1’&’2 and the safety analysis completed for KEPCO’s Shin Kori Units 3’&’4 in Korea, which were granted licenses by the Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety (KINS). Shin Kori Units 3’&’4 are the reference plants for the UAE program. The CLA also includes the design changes identified from lessons-learned from the Fukushima accident.