IRBIL, Security forces in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region have arrested murderers of the Turkish diplomat Osman Kose and accused the Kurdistan People’s Party (PKK) of standing behind July 17 operation which also left two other Kurdish people killed.
In a press statement issued Friday, the Kurdistan Region Security Council (KRSC) said the region’s security and anti-terror squads had identified and apprehended the culprits in a record time.
It pointed out that security forces had so far arrested six suspects: three from Turkey and three from the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, and named the main suspect as Mazlum Dag, a Turkish citizen.
“Three people who assisted the perpetrators of the incident are from Kurdistan Region,” the KRSC stated.
It said investigations are underway to arrest some other people who have connections with the incident.
According to the suspects’ confessions, the operation was planned and preparations were made by PKK official Fatih Botan who is based in the Kurdistan’s Qandil mountains.
The KRSC released a video including confessions of the suspects and the way operation was carried out.
On 24 July, 2015, the decades-long Turkish-Kurdish conflict resumed after a failed two and a half year-long peace process following the killing of several Turkish security personnel by PKK militants.
The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US and EU.
Since then, more than 1200 security personnel and civilians have been killed. Around 10,000 PKK members have been killed, according to Turkish figures.
Source: Kuwait News Agency