KUWAIT, — Kuwait, proving its leading role in international scene by always calling for peace and extending a helping hand for the needy, hosted inter-Yemeni negotiations which concluded Friday after over 90 days of marathon talks.
UN Secretary General Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad, announcing end of talks at a news conference earlier, expressed gratitude for Kuwait and the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah for hosting the negotiations and approving to extend them for a week when the original deadline expired.
He said Kuwait has proven its keenness on peace and stability in Yemen.
Ahmad said the Amir’s “personal intervention and wise leadership in some moments were key to salvage the consultations” between the Yemeni parties.
He said First Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah was in close contact with the negotiators to facilitate the talks.
He added that Kuwait’s hosting of the talks has paved the way for a solid ground for an agreement “we hope to see the light soon” in order to end the conflict in Yemen.
Ahmad said the progress of talks so far was “positive,” citing the warring parties’ sitting on one negotiating table.
He did not rule out the next round of talks, expected within a month, to be held in Kuwait too. “The option that Kuwait hosts the consultation is still on the table,” he added.
Ahmad said he was confident Kuwait would not hesitate in hosting the next round if it was asked, because it was keen on achieving international peace.
Source: Name News Network