WASHINGTON, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that North Korea’s announcement to dismantle its nuclear test site is “good news,” and “one step along the way.
“Every single site that the North Koreans have that can inflict risk upon the American people that is destroyed, eliminated, dismantled is good news for the American people and for the world,” he said.
Speaking on Fox News Sunday, Pompeo, who met last week with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang and returned to the US with the three freed Americans prisoners, said “we’ll have to see how the negotiations proceed, but make no mistake about it: America’s interest here is preventing the risk that North Korea will launch a nuclear weapon into LA or Denver or into the very place we’re sitting here this morning.” On the upcoming summit between Trump and North Korea’s leader in Singapore on June 12, Pompeo noted that there remains “a great deal of detail to be worked on, and in the coming weeks we will continue to work on that so that we can be in a good spot on June 12th in Singapore for President Trump.” He reiterated “make no mistake about it: We’ve done this before, right? We’ve done trade for trade, moment for moment ? and it has failed repeatedly.” He noted ” I think Chairman Kim understands that. I think he appreciates the fact that this is going to have to be different and big and special, and something that has never been undertaken before.
“If we’re going to get to this historic outcome, both sides have to be prepared to take truly historic measures to achieve it,” he remarked.
The US top diplomat affirmed “there’s a great deal of work that remains. Our eyes are wide open with respect to the risks, but it is our fervent hope that Chairman Kim wants to make a strategic change, a strategic change in the direction for his country and his people.
“If he’s prepared to do that, President Trump is prepared to assure that there’s going to be a successful transition,” he added.
Source: Kuwait News Agency