Saudi Air Defense Forces intercept ballistic missile from Yemen

RIYADH, A ballistic missile fired from Sa’da governorate, northwest Yemen, towards the Saudi province of Najran was intercepted and destroyed, the Arab coalition to restore legitimacy in Yemen said on Thursday.

Saudi Air Defense Forces detected the missile at 19:09, local time, this evening that was fired by Yemeni Houthis’ militia towards Najran, spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition Col. Turki Al-Maliki said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

The missile, which was destroyed, was fired deliberately to target populated areas, he added, noting that there was no damage due to the destruction of missile.

He stressed that this hostile act committed by “terrorist” Houthis supported by Iran proves the involvement of the Iranian regime in providing the armed militia with qualitative capabilities in a clear and explicit defiance to the UN Security Council resolutions 2216 and 2231.

Al-Maliki pointed out that the act aims to threaten regional and international security.

He reiterated that launching ballistic missiles towards populated cities and towns runs counter to international humanitarian law.

The number of ballistic missiles fired by Houthis towards Yemen has reached so far 194.

Source: Kuwait News Agency